After the pain of setting up the hardware of a new machine from scratch (may do another post on that). Windows decided to kick me while I was down and tell me that it couldn’t activate windows.
After seeing the above message, I went to the activation center on Windows 10. To see the following message.
I selected the Troubleshoot option
I selected the “I recently changed hardware on this device” option.
It failed horribly, even after trying it again hours later, or trying to link my Microsoft account again.
After some searching I found this reddit post, which solved the issue for me:
Downloading Belarc Advisor, generating a report and finding the key for Internet Explorer showed me the previous Windows Key.
Entering it into the slui command prompt activation window allowed me to activate successfully.